I wrote a research paper in high school in the field of lasers and optics but did not get published. It is on the internet open for anyone to read. How should I go on citing this? I want to refer to it in an application where it asks me to cite all works I have been a part of.

  • 2
    I'd say, if it is on the Internet, it's published. It's not peer-reviewed, but that's another point. – svavil Nov 12 '15 at 21:34

If you create a profile on researchgate you can upload your work and it gives you a citation. It also gives you your own personal dio code so that you can cross reference your work with other sites. This is what I have used. Here is the web site: www.researchgate.net

Additionally you can also create a google scholar profile sync your work from researchgate and it automatically gives you a citation.

  • Sorry if this is a stupid question -- what's a dio code? – aparente001 Nov 13 '15 at 5:22
  • 2
    I think he ment DOI code. It's a special hyperlink used for scientific papers. That being said, I would not recommend researchgate. Many people view it as the Linked-in of academia, and reserve a special kind of hate for it. The arXiv is a much more universally-liked platform. – semi-extrinsic Nov 13 '15 at 9:51

Exactly the same way you'd cite something miscellaneous written by somebody else. If it is on the 'web, give the complete URL (and see if you can make sure it won't go away, stash away a personal copy for safekeeping).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.