I am a recent masters grad from a US institution as a foreign student. As of now I have no university affiliation. My work as a grad student was mainly research oriented. Hence now looking for a job seems redundant as many research jobs in US require US citizenship or field experience. So as a researcher my options are limited. Nevertheless I am working on a theoretical paper. The question is

  1. What are my options at this point considering an academic career where I could become a teacher/lecturer/professor or academician carrying out scientific work.
  2. If I have a paper ready how do i publish it in a good journal with a decent impact factor without a university affiliation.

I could not find published research in reputed journals by any independent scholars.

  • 2
    I think you need to demonstrate that US citizenship or field experience are required. I hire plenty of non-citizens to do research work who have no field (presumably meaning outdoors with grass or a forest or something similar) experience who are non-citizens. Field experience isn't even a recognized concept in my ahem field. What area of study are you talking about?
    – Bill Barth
    Sep 24, 2015 at 21:52
  • My background is in electronics and electrical engineering and my masters is in Nanoscience. My current research is in the field of theoretical condensed matter physics and quantum dynamics at a nanoscale.
    – moksha
    Sep 24, 2015 at 21:57
  • 2
    This question is a potential duplicate for many SE questions, tagged independent-researcher, i.e., this, this and this. Sep 24, 2015 at 21:59
  • Please ask one question per post
    – ff524
    Sep 24, 2015 at 23:18

1 Answer 1


Short answer: Simply write your paper and submit it and wait for feedback. If it is good enough a conference will publish it.

Longer Answer: A contribution is a contribution, and conferences and journals are always hungry for a good content. Affiliation does not mean much, as most high ranking conferences only allow double-blind submissions; and after acceptance you can put your name, email and the company you are working for. You then will be considered an independent researcher on the subject matter. I have seen many submissions from big to small companies over the years, on subjects that were important to them and their work, who decided to submit their contribution to a research conference and get feedback.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .