Is it possible for an international student who is pursuing masters in USA, to teach in a community college after MS as a full time employee? I am interested in teaching and I work as a teaching assistant for undergraduates. I conduct classes to these students thrice a week and I really enjoy the experience. I would like to look for job opportunities in teaching field with a Masters degree. Are community colleges a good shot or are there any other similar opportunities?

  • to teach in a community college after MS as a full time employee For how long?
    – Nobody
    Sep 24 '15 at 9:24
  • For about 2-3 years.. Depending on further opportunities.
    – maggie
    Sep 24 '15 at 9:27
  • 1
    This F-1 OPT page should explain the answer to you.
    – Nobody
    Sep 24 '15 at 9:31

In the US, F-1 visa holders can apply for an extension called Optional Practical Training (OPT) after their graduation. The default is a 1 year extension, and STEM field graduates have a slightly longer period.

Talk to the people responsible for international student affairs in your school for more details.

  • Beyond OPT, you'd need a visa to continue working in such a position. Most community colleges would be unwilling to pay the costs associated with sponsoring you for an H-1B visa and eventual permanent residency. Sep 24 '15 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.