I have a PhD in computer science. I have done some successful applied projects. Now, I am looking for a postdoc position in the US. However, I prefer a university with more support for commercialization of projects.

As I tried to search, most universities have offices for university–industry liaisons, but I do not look for a collaboration with industry. I wish to find universities specifically have an office for helping student and staff to start their own business, i.e., if I complete an applied project, the university supports me to establish my company.

How can I find universities that actively have this service?

  • Welcome to Academia SE. I edited your titular question and removed another question to have your question contain only one question, which is no shopping question and actually answerable by us (as opposed to the university).
    – Wrzlprmft
    Sep 10, 2015 at 12:51
  • 1
    It is fairly common for universities to want to commericialize faculty research, and take a share. "Technology transfer" is a key-phrase to look for, and "Office of technology transfer" is the name of the office concerning such at my univ in the U.S. Sep 10, 2015 at 16:03
  • @paulgarrett: That looks as if it should have been an answer
    – Wrzlprmft
    Sep 11, 2015 at 7:24
  • @Wrzlprmft, I don't really know that that phrase is typical in the U.S., so it'd be at best a very-partial answer... Also, it seems to be that faculty are expected to get external funding to do the research that results in start-ups, etc., so the univ may not really "help"... Sep 11, 2015 at 12:55

1 Answer 1


All research universities in the United States have "technology transfer" or "commercialization" offices. They will help you patent your invention, license that patent to licensees, and/or help you set up your own company to commercialize the invention.

Of course, all of this is subject to an assessment that what you think is a commercializable idea is really worth the university's support.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .