When someone is a postdoctoral researcher, is the person directly "above" him in the hierarchy called his supervisor, or his scientific coordinator?

  • 1
    It may be useful to add more context to this question. Is this for a CV, a letter to your parents, ...? – silvado Nov 6 '12 at 13:20
  • 1
    Also, the "tightness of supervision" among postdoctoral researchers varies significantly, so the "right" term will certainly depend on the specific hiring circumstances. – silvado Nov 6 '12 at 13:24
  • It is for a CV. The contract identifies him as the scientific coordinator, but I haven't seen this term before, so I was wondering which is more "formal"... – user000001 Nov 6 '12 at 13:40
  • 1
    Ask your supervisor/scientific coordinator/line manager/advisor/host/PI. – JeffE Nov 7 '12 at 3:18
  • In a couple of grants I have applied for, the paperwork used the term (academic) host. I like it: it implies a different relationship than advisor/advisee, in particular the fact that you can do your own research autonomously. – Federico Poloni Nov 7 '12 at 7:30

I have seen the term "Line Manager" used in the context of post-doctoral researchers here in the UK.

I have also seen reference made in CVs to the principal investigator for the research project to which the author contributed, e.g. "I worked with Prof. X, Principal Investigator for Project Y". The term "Scientific Co-ordinator" seems to be most closely related to this. Perhaps, therefore, the term "scientific co-ordinator" suits your purposes best.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.