I planned that I could make myself money to continue education (by obtaining a master's degree), but what am I supposed to do to continue my education? It would be nice if it's going to be a part-time education and I don't have to attend to school all the time.

My candidate would be University of Toronto or McGill.

I looked at their homepage, and the application information describes undergrad for high school applicants, or application directly from undergrad students.

On top of that I am not Canadian citizen (but a resident). Is there any chance for me to restart my education?

  • 3
    or application directly from undergrad students - what part of the application, specifically, applies only to students direct from undergrad? It's not clear what the problem is, exactly. – ff524 Aug 9 '15 at 18:38
  • @ff524 in short, i want to know how to apply grad school in Canada after working for 1 year. i have this concern because i have graduated from school so it's not quite typical. – Jason Hu Aug 9 '15 at 18:47
  • ... and I want to know why you can't apply in the usual way. – ff524 Aug 9 '15 at 18:48
  • @ff524 i am not sure. because i am not... typical? and that's full time isn't it? – Jason Hu Aug 9 '15 at 18:49
  • Are you asking how to apply to a part time program (in which case, it's not clear why you couldn't apply in the usual way?)? Whether you can do a "normal" program part time? Whether these institutions have a part time program? Your question is very unclear. – ff524 Aug 9 '15 at 18:50

Your best bet would be to get in contact with a specific professor who is an active researcher in an area of CS in which you would like to complete a Masters degree. If you find a supervisor who is keen to advise you (which you will need, anyway), he/she can help you negotiate the university admission process.

However, be forewarned. Many professors receive a lot of unsolicited emails from candidate students and are unlikely to respond. You need to make it very clear from first contact why it would be in his/her interest to supervise you, in particular.


It is fine to apply as a returning student. You will be an asset to the program because of your work experience. Make sure you read the application instructions carefully.

You can probably also take a class here and there as an unmatriculated student. Alternatively you may be able to audit a class.

  • wow. that's a fantastically encouraging piece of information! – Jason Hu Aug 10 '15 at 2:08
  • And make sure to contact the university with any specific questions that come up. Happy studying! – aparente001 Aug 10 '15 at 2:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.