I am in a Ph.D. program in Engineering and I do probability, statistics and differential equations. My relevant previous works are: Modelling of blood flow, programming using DNA molecules. (But most of things I do, which will lead to a Ph.D. are very mathematical and don't involve any medicine.)
But lately I feel very inspired to pursue a career in Medicine instead. I am planning to complete my Ph.D. (I am from India) and then join a MD program (in USA).
- I am interested in the mathematical modelling of living systems. I have read some papers in this area. I noticed some of these papers don't get the maths or physics right at times. I feel I would have the right skills to contribute here.
- I am also interested in Bio-medical instrumentation. I have degree in Mechanical Engineering and I feel I would have the right skills for this industry.
I am aware that to be able to pursue either of above, I don't need a MD degree. But lately, I feel very passionate about actually saving lives and working closely with people. It is like a dream that keeps me inspired and working all the time. I want the MD degree.
So I want to know:
- Is such a thing possible? Would I be eligible to apply? I am not very well clear about 'pre-med' course requirements.
- I am asking specifically about the MD program in USA on mind. However information about MD programs in other countries, would also be useful.
- If it is possible, I want some advice on how to go about preparing for it?
(If you feel strongly the need to discourage my decision, please feel free to do so, giving adequate reasons. I would find that useful too.)