I would like to get a board certification in order to practice is US as a doctor.

I am graduating in October in Italy and I am aware that before getting a residency in US I should pass USMLE exams STEP 1, 2CK, 2CS.

Taking into account I don't have any contact in US, which is the best route I should follow in order to maximize my chances of getting a residency?

I am sure that getting outstanding marks in USMLE exams could help a lot but it isn't a guarantee, nor sufficient to be hired.

What about trying to get an observership, PhD program or similar.

  • 1
    Would you clarify what you mean by "the best route"? The shortest time? A good medical doctor eventually? Or something else? – scaaahu Aug 3 '15 at 11:39
  • Also, do you want just practice medicine in the US or doing medical research after you get the residency? – scaaahu Aug 3 '15 at 11:43
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about a mainly non-academic career. It may be on-topic on Expatriates, but please check their guidelines before posting. – Wrzlprmft Aug 3 '15 at 12:24
  • 4
    Close voters and about-to-vote-to-close voters, please see this meta question – scaaahu Aug 3 '15 at 12:40
  • 3
    I would view the US residency system as medicine's equivalent of a postdoc: a combination of training and practice undertaken after the terminal degree. My impression is that they are quite academic in character: often done at a university's teaching hospital, where supervising physicians have the title "Professor". I think questions about residencies are on topic, though I am not sure how many users we have in medicine who could answer. – Nate Eldredge Aug 3 '15 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.