I wonder if someone (or eventually some country, organisation, etc ...) already evaluated the costs of the system of grants.
- It costs at least the salary of the researcher who writes and gets the grant
- but also the salary of all the researchers who didn’t get it, and could have done something else than writing a proposal
- plus the costs in administration (e.g. the National Contact Point(s) in Europe at several places in each country)
- plus the cost of organising the referral (travels, meetings, ...)
- plus the cost of the grant itself, of course.
On the positive side, of course the entire society benefits from a completed grant.
So my questions are:
- Are there some studies about the economical efficiency of the grant system?
- What are their conclusions?
- How much does the granting costs?
- Are there other system evaluated?
Partially related questions :
but this question is really about the economy of research and factual investigations about the system of grants, not about feeling from researchers.