Reading the German universities' regulations on doctoral programs, one often comes to paragraphs about sanctions that can be demanded by the PhD board (Promotionsausschuss) as perquisites before they admit a candidate.
For example I have seen [updated to reflect the given answers]:
- own publication(s) needed
- take selected courses/modules offered by the university, which contents are related to the planned topic of thesis
- submitting an exposé
- letter(s) of recommendation
- certificate of good conduct ("Führungszeugnis")
- supervisor actually employed at the same university
Are there other common requirements demanded by such boards?