I am enrolled as a student in a U.S. university. I will be applying for a PhD program in physics in the coming months and I can't really move to another city. Therefore I am considering to stay at my current university A for my PhD (where I will receive my B.S). I am 100% sure that I will be accepted and I am very happy here.
However, there is no research going on at university A that I am interested in for graduate school or for a career. My main interest is in theoretical physics.
There is a top-ranked school B for physics about forty minutes away. This school has exactly what I am looking for in graduate research, but for other reasons I did not like school B at all, when I briefly attended it. Moreover, it is very unlikely that I will be accepted there for a PhD program.
I am wondering:
- Can I pursue uni A's PhD program and have an advisor from uni B?
- If so, should I bring this up with both universities before I apply or should I wait until I am in the program and chose my adviser?