I've read that it's quite common among students to take a graduate program which is different from the bachelor's degree. I was wondering if it is possible for someone with a bachelor's degree in Political Science and Master of Business Administration to teach Political Science subjects.

  • What's a DBA in this context?
    – Bill Barth
    May 6 '15 at 14:06
  • Can you make your question more self-contained and also put it in the body of the question, not just leave it as the header? May 6 '15 at 14:08

Highly unlikely. Even at the community college level, to teach in a field one must typically have at least some postgraduate degree in that field or in a closely related field. So you someone probably teach in a polisci department with a degree in economics, because they use many of the same methods and consider some of the same areas. Ditto philosophy. Not a professional business degree.

(PhD political scientist here)

  • From my experience, community colleges are particularly strict with requiring you have at least a Masters degree in the subject you want to teach.
    – Nick Cain
    May 20 '15 at 2:20

It is possible for people to teach across disciplines if their record reflects knowledge in the course they will teach. With a BS and PhD in Aerospace Engineering I have taught courses in CS and a division of Statistics and Scientific Computation. I was eligible to do this because my background is in parallel computing for computational fluid dynamics problems, so I have demonstrated skills in programming, software engineering, numerical analysis, and parallel computing. The courses I was teaching were on scientific computing and parallel computing and were being offered first by a CS department and then by this division (which has now become a department). I was deemed qualified to teach them based on my background and demonstrated skills even though my PhD is in a different subject.

So yes, it's possible, but I think you'd have to show some background related to the subject in question. It will also depend on what kind of job you are applying for. If a Poli Sci department needs an adjunct for one course, you might qualify to teach that course, but you are unlikely to land a full-time position unless your Doctor of Business Administration research was related to politics somehow.

  • 1
    OK, now the question has been edited to say MBA not DBA. I think this makes it a lot harder unless the Poli Sci department is at a community college or other school with lower requirements for their instructors.
    – Bill Barth
    May 6 '15 at 14:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.