I know that a PhD is now just used to mean doctorate, so what would a person who has a doctorate in philosophy be called?

  • 3
    The same as any other PhD! They would have a PhD in X. Apr 10 '15 at 0:01
  • @AustinHenley I mean stuff like D.F.A. (doctor of fine arts), D.C.S. (doctor of computer science)
    – Anonymous
    Apr 10 '15 at 1:13
  • If they had a higher doctorate they would have a "Doctor of Letters" I believe. Doctor of Letters is basically the (equally) highest qualification a university can give (and not all give them). (a PhD is generally (but not nesc) a prereq for a doctors of letters) Apr 10 '15 at 5:26

Generically, a PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy, not a doctor in philosophy. Thus a PhD in philosophy would a Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy (as opposed to a PhD in economics, who would be a Doctor of Philosophy in Economics).

  • To the point and nailed it.
    – 299792458
    Apr 10 '15 at 17:15

Doctor. Just like everyone else with a PhD.


Based on your comments to the question:

PhD is not used to just mean "doctorate." A PhD is a specific type of doctorate. The reason people talk about, say, a PhD in computer science is that that is their actual literal degree -- their diploma says "Doctor of Philosophy" on it, not "Doctor of Computer Science." Especially formally (like for honorifics), you never call yourself a PhD unless that is your actual degree (informally, some US schools hand out ScDs that are equivalent to a PhD, and you might say you have a PhD because it's clearer; however, formally, you do not have a PhD then).

Other than ScD in the US (and D.Phil, which is just PhD in English instead of Latin), other degrees I can think of would never be called a PhD even informally. A DFA is generally honorary, but even if not it's not a research degree. An MD isn't a PhD, even though it's a doctorate. An EdD is not a PhD.

So, a PhD in philosophy would be a PhD. Someone with a PhD in computer science also has a PhD. Things could have been set up so you'd have a D.Math, or a D.Physics, or a D.Comp.Sci., etc.; but that's not how it works, so you really have the actual same degree as people in other fields.

  • In the UK, the system in your last paragraph is used for philosophy, and the abbreviation is D. Phil.
    – alephzero
    Apr 10 '15 at 23:00
  • @alephzero Are other degrees then not D.Phil? Because if everything's D.Phil, then the conclusion is that it uses an older sense of "philosophy."
    – cpast
    Apr 10 '15 at 23:34
  • 'DPhil' is still in Latin (the most notable British university to use that abbreviation, Oxford, still conducts degree ceremonies almost entirely in Latin); Latin word order is much more flexible than English.
    – dbmag9
    Jun 25 '17 at 21:44

I hold a PhD in philosophy. Long ago I was introduced to a group of non-philosopher cognoscenti this way: "Attention everyone, we now have a PhD squared in the group..." I had never heard that before, but everyone else seemed to know exactly what he meant, and started asking me deliberately silly philosophical questions. A doctor of philosophy of philosophy ... PhD-squared.

  • 3
    Isn't it then just the 'Ph' that is squared? :-)
    – quid
    Feb 27 '17 at 21:14
  • mathematicians aren't generally big hits at parties.
    – Faydey
    May 16 at 21:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.