A soggettario (in Italian) is simply a list of subject headings: it's a kind of thesaurus, used both as manual/tool for cataloguing and for browsing subjects and finding all books in a certain subject within the catalogue.

For instance the LCSH or the Nuovo soggettario. I can search a topic, browse the hierarchy and end up in the OPAC listing the titles.

So, does this whole thing have a single name in English? Do you use it?

  • 5
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it may be more suitable on English SE.
    – Nobody
    Commented Apr 2, 2015 at 6:12
  • 1
    I don't know... it's about what people use for this procedure. The English name might not be a direct translation. It's not a matter of linguistics but of reference.
    – Nemo
    Commented Apr 2, 2015 at 6:16
  • 2
    If you are refering to a list (or database) of keywords the correct term would be Search Index, or simply Index Commented Apr 2, 2015 at 7:22
  • 3
    I believe the topic fits the community, because it is about the functioning of research facilities (such as libraries and databases). I strongly believe that AcademiaSE should host these topics. Nevertheless, this particular question is more about the english language itself: the english term for the italian "soggettario" is "Subject Headings List", or "Subject Index". This is a simple matter of translation.
    – FraEnrico
    Commented Apr 2, 2015 at 7:34
  • 4
    To be more accurate, the "Soggettario" is not just a list of terms (thesaurus) or subject entries. It is actually a manual containing the rules to create and organize the subject headings. A proper translation would be "Subject Indexing Tool", as expressed for example here: thes.bncf.firenze.sbn.it/index_eng.html In the same way, the France National Library uses the term "Indexation Matière" (lit. Subject Indexing): bnf.fr/fr/professionnels/anx_catalogage_indexation/…
    – FraEnrico
    Commented Apr 2, 2015 at 7:38


Browse other questions tagged .