Who are transfer applicants? I was applying for undergraduate program in a university and there I saw a transfer applicants category. I want to know what does that mean?

  • 3
    As an example from the radio, students who go to Northern Virginia Community College and complete 2 years of courses can transfer to the University of Virginia to finish their 4-year degree.
    – Compass
    Feb 10, 2015 at 19:59
  • Out of interest, how successful are they? I have this vague idea that switching schools would be frowned on without a really good reason..
    – JP Janet
    Feb 11, 2015 at 11:11
  • 1
    @JPJanet It's not that uncommon, and doesn't always happen for some extraordinary reason (for instance, plenty of people go to community college, which is only 2 years, and then graduate and have to transfer to get a bachelor's).
    – cpast
    Feb 13, 2015 at 7:18

1 Answer 1


Applicants who have already begun their undergraduate education at another institution and wish to transfer into this one.

  • 3
    The most common case in the US would be that they started at a community college and then transferred to a four-year school.
    – user1482
    Feb 10, 2015 at 19:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .