Recently, I want to submitted a paper to IEEE, I encounter a problem when I want to cite a paper from a new journal, for example, Systems Science & Control Engineering . According to IEEE standard, all papers submitted should have the abbreviation form of journal name in reference, however, I can not find the abbreviation form for the journal I want to cite. How to solve this problem?

I tried this abbreviation database JabRef/reference-abbreviations and not found.

  • 2
    You could write the journal and ask them. They should know and it's in their interest to have a well-defined abbreviation. Feb 9, 2015 at 16:20
  • @fileunderwater I had twittered their office twitter, hopefully, we will find answer soon. Besides, my best guess would be Syst. Sci. Control Eng. based on the abbreviation pattern appeared on ` JabRef/reference-abbreviations `.
    – wayne
    Feb 10, 2015 at 3:12

1 Answer 1


There is a list of journal abbreviations issued by ISI (now Clarivate) where official abbreviations are found. There are many places where the list is found but the best updated will likely be the one at Web of Science. Your journal is not listed here as far as I can see but abbreviations follow certain guidelines so it would not be difficult to "guess" what abbreviation should be suitable. My guess will be Syst. Sci. Contr. Eng. based on other existing abbreviations including the words that make up the title.

Note, however, that this is still not the formal abbreviation and I would add a note to the fact to the editor when submitting the manuscript so the journal can decide what to print based on what you have provided. It is possible that the copy-editing will catch this as well but declaring your actions will always help editors in their work and will be appreciated.

  • 1
    Thank you very much, hopefully, we can find the official one. Science I can't the official one, if it's okay to cite it in full name instead of abbreviation?
    – wayne
    Feb 9, 2015 at 12:59
  • 1
    Besides, I found the abbreviation list in Web of Science(WOS) is not compatible with the abbreviation list in IEEE, for example the journal IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL, in WOS it has IEEE T AUTOMAT CONTR, while IEEE gives IEEE Trans AUTOMAT CONTR
    – wayne
    Feb 9, 2015 at 13:06
  • I found a pattern, if a journal is IEEE's, the control is the title should be abbreviated as contr, otherwise, control is not abbreviated. Hence, my best guess would be Syst. Sci. Control Eng. :)
    – wayne
    Feb 10, 2015 at 3:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .