Is possible to get into a "better" university for PhD after doing an MS in a relatively low grade school in the United States? If so, what kind of profile is expected during admission?

  • Of course it's possible. (Proof: I did it.) The kind of profile you need for admission to a strong PhD program has already been addressed many times on this site (two examples). – JeffE Jan 14 '15 at 16:30
  • Should low grade be low-grade? – Compass Jan 14 '15 at 17:25

You may have to re-take some coursework, because there may be restrictions on transferring graduate coursework from a graduate program to another, and you are going to need a high masters GPA as well as some research experience for this move to be successful.

  • @user12169 is correct, at least within the US. Some but not all of my masters coursework was recognized by my PhD department. – JeffE Jan 15 '15 at 3:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.