I am writing Statement of Purpose for PhD application to Canadian university and I am stumbling over a little issue that when I write like this

I have completed my masters degree ... after completing bachelors degree..

So should I write undergraduate/graduate degree word as what they say at their place or I use words that what they say at my place as I written above? or either one is okey?

  • 1
    "Undergraduate" and "graduate" mean different things in different places. Just use the program names as they were at the schools you attended if you want to be unambiguous.
    – aeismail
    Dec 31, 2014 at 19:56
  • I agree with @aeismail - write what actually happened. It might be worth also adding what the equivalence is. PS. (stating the obvious) Unless your written English/French is rather better than in this question, it isn't going to matter anyway.
    – Jessica B
    Dec 31, 2014 at 23:50
  • @aeismail sounds like an answer...
    – ff524
    Jan 1, 2015 at 0:27
  • @JessicaB what I wrote above is indeed a hint to say i m going to write about this. I will write what they called it in my university and with adding academic elegance to the language. Thanks :)
    – Tab
    Jan 1, 2015 at 3:32
  • @ff524 I agree that both comments making the answer.
    – Tab
    Jan 1, 2015 at 3:35

1 Answer 1


I think it is better to use the exact phrases and words mentioned your documents and degrees. If the words bachelors and masters degrees are written in your certificates; simply use these words. It is much more sure and easier than thinking about rephrasing the words or finding synonyms for them. Also, in my opinion; bachelors and masters degrees are more explicit words than undergraduate and graduate degrees.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .