I have some questions regarding graduate admission (PHD) in us university. The guidelines stated on the maximum university websites are that they require academic transcripts. My question is that, are the Bachelor of Science (BSc) and Masters of Science (MSc ) transcripts only? or I will have to send all the academic records(verified) from the childhoods?

  • Probably the best course of action is to email the admissions committee well in advance of the application deadline and ask.
    – Superbest
    Dec 8, 2014 at 15:47

2 Answers 2


It refers only to BSc and MSc scores.

  • This is right, though there are some edge cases that can be confusing. Some people take classes at a college during high school, often through a continuing education or similar program. If you have transcripts from the college for those classes, some schools take them and some don't. Others take classes at a college after graduating, but not for a degree (again, usually through continuing ed programs). It's also up in the air whether schools will want these transcripts.
    – Roger Fan
    Dec 8, 2014 at 18:16

Most of the time—and definitely in the United States and Canada—it refers to only the transcripts from post-secondary schools. In some European countries (such as Germany), they may want to see the secondary school transcripts (or at least proof of graduation from a secondary school). However, in such cases, they will usually state so explicitly.

You must log in to answer this question.