I am writing a personal statement for a PhD application and I’d like to refer to my previous lecturer. He was a Dr. at the time he taught me but he is now a professor at another institution.

Is there a neat way of referring to someone like this or do I have to go with something clumsy as:

I was taught by Dr. X (now Prof.) on his course about Y.

  • 5
    A title refers to a person, not to the time you have met that person, you can use Professor X. – user102 Nov 19 '14 at 15:41
  • Has X's doctorate been rescinded? (Is that even possible?) – 200_success Nov 19 '14 at 20:11
  • At least in some schools in the United States, "Professor" is used to indicate a faculty member who doesn't hold a doctorate, so maybe be a little careful. Also, you get rid of a lot of clum when you dump the passive voice. "Dr. X, now professor of high-energy magic at... inspired me when..." – Bob Brown Nov 20 '14 at 14:07
  • @200_success: Yes, doctorates can be rescinded. A search for "doctorate rescinded" finds several. One has to have screwed up pretty badly, though. – Bob Brown Nov 20 '14 at 14:14

The person is now a professor, so refer to them primarily as that. If you are concerned about confusion, you can add the additional information in the sub-clause, where it reads more smoothly:

I took course Y from Prof. X, while he was a [lecturer, postdoc, whatever] at [instutition]"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.