Many universities have adopted open access policies, giving their employees an incentive to make their scholarly articles freely available online.
To enforce this policy, universities should ideally keep track of the research output of their employees, and remind them to upload their papers if they are not freely available yet.
This is a rather time-consuming task: I wonder whether there are tools to facilitate or automate this process.
Such tools could perform some of the following tasks:
- Track the published papers and match their authors with the employees list (probably using some bibliometric platform like crossref.org)
- Locate freely available versions of these papers
- Run a repository where the papers can be uploaded (there are plenty of tools available for this task)
- Manage waiver requests from researchers who want to opt out of the policy
- Provide statistics about the publication practices within the institution