Is there something like an undergraduate research programme (given by a good institution) in mathematics/theoretical physics which provides a research opportunity in which I can collaborate online and leads to a publication?

  • 3
    I'm not familiar with any undergrad research program that provides courses, but that could just be terminology. Are you referring to a degree program, or a program that allows you to perform research while earning your degree elsewhere? – eykanal Jul 8 '14 at 12:54
  • Sorry for the imprecise wording: I mean, a program (I would prefer it to be in english and held by a good institution) that allows me to do research and which suggests me some material to read and/or courses relevant for research (at undergrad level) while I'm earning my degree at my university. – user10024 Jul 8 '14 at 13:05
  • Is your university not satisfied you? What's wrong with it? – Ooker Jul 9 '14 at 10:59
  • @Ooker there's nothing wrong, but in that university you've to be a PhD student in order to do some research, so I would like to know if there are other research opportunities – user10024 Jul 9 '14 at 11:33
  • 2
    The organized undergrad research programs that I am familiar with (i.e. the US NSF's research experience for undergrads) are conceived in part as mentoring programs and the participants spend a lot of time with professors, grad students and post docs getting both formal instruction and simple exposure to the culture. – dmckee --- ex-moderator kitten Jul 19 '14 at 23:14

I think you should check The Open University's site.

Under the Studying for a Research Degree section in the Faculty of Mathematics, Computing and Technology site I found this:

Part-time research students pursue their projects at a distance, under individual guidance from expert supervisors.

So maybe it is a possibility if you actually would like to earn a degree from that university, but since this institute is famous for the excellent quality online and distance education I think you should write them a message and ask for information. I guess they would have good suggestions about your question.

PS. I've taken an online course from this University on the FutureLearn site, and the material's quality was very good.

  • 2
    The program you have referenced is not for undergraduate students. The "research degrees" there are at the M.S. and PhD level. – ff524 Jul 24 '14 at 10:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.