Background: I was reading about Google's Hybrid approach to research. This prompted me to think about how in academia I try to get multiple output from the one set of inputs. For example, I might try to
- Present a talk and and then write up a journal article
- Write blog posts and question-and-answer combos on StackExchange to force me to learn something that I need to know in order to write a journal article.
- If I learn a new technique in the process of writing a journal article, then present a tutorial on how to apply the technique.
I've also heard senior academics talk about employing this approach. E.g.,
- publishing an article in a journal as well as reframing the content for a magazine or newspaper
- What are the most important examples of getting multiple outputs for a given input?
- What is a systematic way of incorporating this into your project planning?