I am currently in the process of submitting a manuscript to a journal. During this process my manuscript has come back for revision, and the journal has asked for an updated manuscript with revisions annotated. What level of changes should be annotated? Similarly is it acceptable to provide a generic comment when changes are for flow and not for content (e.g. "sentence rephrased for clarity")?
As an example (in my perceived order of required-ness):
- Adding or removing significant content (figures, paragraphs, sentences)
- Rephrasing a sentence changing the meaning
- Rephrasing a sentence changing the grammar, but not the meaning
- Adding/removing words that are superfluous (or change the meaning in an insignificant way)
- alteration of comma's, periods, etc.