I would like to complete an MRes or PhD, but do not live in an area with any schools. I would rather not relocate. I see that many schools offer paid MRes or PhD programs entirely via distance. Do schools sometimes also offer teaching or research assistantships via distance as well?

  • 6
    I am not aware of a single credible online/distance PhD program.
    – JeffE
    May 27, 2014 at 5:07
  • How would that work? You'd teach via video link? Seems unlikely...
    – Flyto
    May 27, 2014 at 10:22
  • The University of Birmingham has many PhDs and other research degrees via distance. Many schools, including Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. offer Web-based courses. Why is it so unlikely?
    – Village
    May 27, 2014 at 12:32
  • 5
    @Village online courses are not at all similar to online advising May 28, 2014 at 3:01

1 Answer 1


Graduate study is learning to do research, by working with your advisor and a research group, mostly hand in hand. A small part of that you'll be able to do remotely, but a minority in any case.

Perhaps you can find a job as a TA for some of the online courses, but if I was to select somebody to assist me in this, I'd select somebody I know personally (and even have at hand for coordination or to pull their ears if something goes awry).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .