If I accept an offer to a professional program from one school (e.g., law, medicine, pharmacy, etc.) and then later get an offer to a better program from a different school, can I retroactively turn down the first offer to accept the second?
Both schools are in Canada, but answers relevant for US schools may also be useful.
I'm actually asking for my brother. The problem in his situation is that the acceptance deadline for one school is after the offer date for another ("better") school. The first school has refused to extend the deadline and the second school has refused to give early notification that an offer is pending.
I am hesitant to say the exact type of program because I don't want to expose his identity to anyone making a decision regarding his admission.
The following question is about grad school, not professional programs, so I'm unsure if the answers apply. Is it legal to withdraw a signed offer letter from grad school?