I'm a UK academic wanting to switch from a skilled worker visa to a global talent visa.

I completed the first step, which was to get a Statement of Guarantee from my university.

Next, I need to apply for an endorsement from an approved endorsing body. Two of these support CS academics: The Royal Society and The Royal Academy of Engineering, and I need to pick one.

How should I choose the endorser? Are there any pros/cons to either in terms of response time or chance of obtaining the endorsement?

1 Answer 1


This will depend upon your exact sub-field of CS academics. According to the UK global talent endorsing bodies page:

Royal Academy of Engineering

  • Algorithms
  • Artificial intelligence
  • Computer vision
  • Data science
  • H-CI/C-HI
  • Image processing
  • Imaging
  • Informatics
  • Signal processing
  • Software engineering
  • Telecommunications
  • Web and data science

The Royal Society

  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Databases
  • Human-computing interaction
  • Machine Learning
  • New computational paradigms (quantum, biological)
  • Numerical Computing
  • Programming Languages and Verification
  • Security and privacy
  • Systems, including networking
  • Vision

As you can see, there is a bit of overlap here. But my understanding is that if most of your research leans heavily into applied CS, the Royal Academy of Engineering would likely be a better fit.

Another metric you can use is to look at who else is publishing in the same journals as you, and see which of the two affiliations is the most common.

  • There's more than a bit of overlap, I do AI :). My point is that I think both could potentially endorse, and I wonder how I should pick which one to ask.
    – M A
    Commented May 14 at 19:17
  • AI is the hardest one for sure, but what specifically do you do within AI? Are you working on gradient boosted trees, natural language processing, general neural networks, llms, etc... Narrowing it down will help.
    – lfalin
    Commented May 14 at 19:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .