I live in Germany and want to continue my studies in Pharmaceutical engineering with a PhD. Since it has been 5 years since my master's degree, do I have any chance to be accepted and what can I do for this purpose?

  • 1
    It absolutely is possible. I have a friend who did her MSc in Portugal, worked for a few years in a pharmacy, then went for a PhD in Czechia, fully paid. Email professors that had interesting classes or research. Certainly they can recommend programs or colleagues. Commented May 3 at 14:37
  • 1
    Do you wish to study in Germany or are you looking more broadly?
    – Buffy
    Commented Jun 3 at 15:05
  • I had a 5 years gap between my master's and Ph.D., both in fluid mechanics. But I studied all those 5 years myself for my future Ph.D. I was solving problems, I was thinking about research ideas. Commented Jun 3 at 17:57
  • @Buffy does this changes for united states?
    – DVI
    Commented Jun 9 at 13:55
  • 1
    You would be considered like anyone else but note that letters of recommendation are especially important here. See the answer for the US here: academia.stackexchange.com/q/176908/75368
    – Buffy
    Commented Jun 10 at 15:48

2 Answers 2


do I have any chance to be accepted and what can I do for this purpose?

I'm not German, but presumably if you have the aptitude needed to get into a PHD program (where academic research and so on are stressed heavily) of this kind, then yes.

  • May I point out that, with few exceptions, there are no 'PhD programs' in Germany. Commented May 4 at 16:03

Generally speaking, the answer is: yes, you may be accepted.

There is no reason why industrial experience should spoil your chances. Moreover, to a potential advisor whose research is related to industry, you and your experience may become a useful acquisition.

Explore the web pages of the departments to which you wish to apply. Find professors whose research scope correlates with your work experience (and, ideally, with the topic of your Master's thesis). Don't hesitate to write to them directly. There would be nothing unusual in doing so. A sample of such a letter, and some related discussion is offered here.

Good luck with your applications!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .