I'm an undergraduate student looking to gain practical experience in my field of study through a summer internship. I understand that working under the guidance of a professor can be incredibly beneficial. However, I'm unsure about the best approach to finding a professor willing to take on an intern for the summer.

Could someone advise me on identifying and reaching out to professors for such opportunities?

I also saw a kinda same question, but it was mostly about summer internship programs and not professors. That's why I've asked this question.

  • Look around your institution and talk to people.
    – Jon Custer
    Jan 7 at 16:27
  • 1
    where are you? for people in the US, see nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu I bet Europe has similar programs. not sure about other countries. Jan 8 at 20:37
  • In my field you don't want a summer internship with a professor, you want to do a longer term research project; ideally more than a year but a year is fine. You may be able to work more summer hours.
    – Bryan Krause
    Jan 8 at 21:01

1 Answer 1


You can start looking at relevant papers, and see the authors. Perhaps early-career professors will benefit the most from being supervisors (looks good on the CV). It is important that you stress that you (your school/government) provides the funding needed. Make sure you do as much administrative work as possible (finding a place to live, etc.) and not rely on the supervisor for this.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .