I'm faced with a choice between two postdoc positions and would appreciate some advice:
Option A: Top 5 World University
- Project: Aligned with my expertise and research interests.
- Additional Opportunities: Involvement in teaching, which is vital for me.
- Concerns: Limited knowledge about certain conditions and the institutional environment.
Option B: Current Institution (Top 50 World University)
- Project: Complete freedom in research directions.
- Additional Opportunities:
- Special budget for data collection.
- Assistance with grant writing and course teaching.
- Leading a small team.
- Visiting other institutions.
- Potential future perceptions regarding my independence as a researcher.
- Questions about the motivation behind this unexpectedly generous offer.
- The academic stature seems equivalent between the professors from the two options although the university rankings are quite different.
- Ultimate Career Goal: Acquiring a faculty position in my home country.
- A junior advisor advocates for staying due to potential strategic connections from my current advisor in my home country.
Key Concerns and Questions
- Could staying at my current institution taint future perceptions of my independence as a researcher?
- Why might my current advisor be offering such a favorable deal unexpectedly? It seems he has not made any offers alike before. I asked the junior advisor, he told me because they think I am one of their best students. But still, it is kind of unexpected and could be just an oral deal.
I appreciate any advice or insights into making this decision. Thank you!