I'm a fourth year neurodivergent doctoral candidate who is also an instructor for this academic year (one year contract). I have had a tendency to make a fair amount of posts related to my struggles (for lack of a better term) and now I have an answer thanks to this neuropsychological assessment.

My intelligence measure was average. However, my processing speed was evaluated as "borderline." The only thing that equalized my overall average from being low average was that I got above average (82nd percentile) on. On the RBANS measure, my score was borderline sadly. I was two points away from being low average. The evaluator specifically note that it was much lower than expected given the intelligence measure.

I was rediagnosed with autism (level 1), ADHD-I, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder - moderate, and posttraumatic stress disorder (from my experience with my first advisor).

As much as I'm glad I have these diagnoses, I'm concerned about post Ph.D work now. I recently contacted vocational rehabilitation in my state to see what they can do for me. However, I'm worried because of how cognitively demanding and fast paced most post Ph.D jobs are based on what I know about them from my colleagues who've graduated from my program. I don't remember the metrics for productivity (I think they vary from workplace to workplace), but I could easily see myself falling through because I took too long to problem solve for my workplace and/or a client (if it's consulting).

I am conflicted about what I should do. Sadly, my university isn't partnered with the federal WRP program that could place me somewhere so I'm crossing my fingers that vocational rehabilitation can help someone who is about to get their Ph.D soon.

What could I do to navigate my situation? I'm going to tell my advisor this news tomorrow. As for the SLAC where I'm teaching, I already submitted an accommodation request and they're evaluating it with the Provost right now.

  • What did your career services offices suggest?
    – Dawn
    Commented Sep 19, 2023 at 23:45
  • @Dawn I have a meeting with them a little over two weeks from now. I have vocational rehabilitation services in the loop in the meantime though
    – zzmondo1
    Commented Sep 19, 2023 at 23:59
  • 1
  • 1
    "Developed" or "recently diagnosed"?
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Sep 20, 2023 at 12:33
  • 2
    Not really addressing the immediate question, but once you're in the workplace, don't fall into the trap of thinking that being a bit less productive (by some particular measure) than one's colleagues is some sort of moral failing. Commented Sep 20, 2023 at 13:23

1 Answer 1


You need to find the right doctor. It is extremely important that you get help from a qualified professional. It is very probable it needs to be a specialist physician, or several kinds of medical specialists.

Actions your advisor or employer can take might help, but they will be nowhere near sufficient.

  • OP already mentioned seeing plenty of doctors...
    – Parrever
    Commented Sep 21, 2023 at 17:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .