I am asking this question because I am considering applying for PhD in Electrical and electronics engineering in US.


2 Answers 2


No, there is no automatic "funding". But what is normally available to most doctoral students in STEM fields is a Teaching Assistantship or possibly a Research Assistantship, in which you spend several hours per week assisting in either a course or a lab, respectively.

These are common but not automatic. An international student might need appropriate language skills to qualify.

Also note that these are common in most STEM fields because there is a need for assistance. For example, in a Math program the TAs assist in the huge undergraduate math program. In some lab fields there is a need for a lot of lab assistants to aid with research. I don't know specifically how this applies to engineering fields, however and it would depend on the university and its overall program.

Either a TA or an RA will cover both tuition and a modest stipend for living expenses. Without either, you normally need to pay tuition, which can be very high.


PhD programs in STEM in the US are usually fully funded. Sometimes this funding comes from the university and you are expected to teach or TA a certain number of classes each year. Sometimes it comes from the faculty member you are doing research with. In either case, it is more like a job than a scholarship: You effectively earn your stipend and tuition waivers by doing work for the university or your professor.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .