I am an incoming student at University A. Currently, I work as a research assistant at University B, but will be leaving this position within the month. Likewise, my affiliation with University B (including email and other means of contacting me through University B) will disappear within the month.

My group at University B is currently preparing to submit a paper on which I am a lead author. Since it will soon no longer be possible to contact me via University B, it would seem to me that listing both my A and B contact information would make the most sense. This way, should anyone wish to reach me, they would be able to do so.

However, all of this raises a question: if I will soon be leaving University B, should I list both A and B as my academic affiliation, especially considering that I will likely have to provide contact information for both affiliations? How should I proceed?


1 Answer 1


Depending upon the specific journal, you have 4 options:

  1. List only University A
  2. List only University B
  3. List both Universities A and B.
  4. List only University B with a current address or affiliation of University A.

I suggest options 3 or 4 depending upon the journal's styling format. Option 4 probably makes the most sense, but some journals have quirks about author affiliations.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .