So here's the situation I find myself in:
- I've just finished the second year of my PhD (part-time) and have submitted my qualifying report.
- My two supervisors, and the two independent examiners all resoundingly approved my QR and recommended progression.
- However, after the first year, I changed my research direction significantly, with the agreement of my supervisor.
- There's now been a massive internal political drama where one of the research directors is unhappy with the change of direction and is seemingly threatening to overrule the four academics who actually approved my QR. Despite the fact that, by their own admission, my work is exemplary.
- My secondary supervisor has decided to step down as a result of the drama.
- I'm entirely self-funded and receive no financial support from the university or any other body including paying them for my tuition.
Thankfully, my supervisor is fighting back against this, but I'm obviously extremely stressed about the situation because this could feasibly result in me not being able to progress and having wasted literally thousands of hours of work.
So my question really boils down to: what options do I have here? Is it feasible that I could just take what I've got and port it over to another institution?