The university from which I obtained my undergraduate degree (A) has announced that it is planning to merge with another university in the area (B), to form a new university (C).

How should I list the institution on my CV after the merge is completed? The answers in the related question here suggest that I should list the new name if the university changes name. I feel that this would be disingenuous however - it's not as simple as the university changing names because two separate institutions with rather different reputations are becoming a new one.

At the same time I worry that if I simply keep the old name then it might be harder to find on (for example) university rankings sites, unless the person searching knew to look back in time.

  • 1
    I would do this: "University A (now University C)"
    – peterh
    Jul 6, 2023 at 5:38
  • 1
    @peterh I feel as if that is concealing the fact that it has been created through a merge. An area of concern is that (for example) A has a reputation for being pretty average in certain areas, while B has quite a good reputation for those. If C ends up having a great reputation for that area, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was using the name of C to cover up the average reputation of where I actually did the study.
    – base12
    Jul 6, 2023 at 5:42
  • 2
    Does this answer your question? How to refer to a university that changed its name?
    – avid
    Jul 6, 2023 at 7:22
  • Call your old university (the bureau in it that deals with student records, transcripts, etc) and just ask them for advice.
    – Trunk
    Jul 25, 2023 at 13:23

1 Answer 1


As peterh says in a comment, for a simple name change you would write "University A (now University C)". If you want to emphasise that it was a merger, not a simple name change, you could therefore write "University A (now part of University C)".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .