Obiviously it may differ from university to university but i am about talking about general case which is applicable to majority

IELTS and related certificates are necessary or English Language Proficiency certificate from previous university(Bachelor Degree University) of student also acceptable?

  • Why would you need any English Language requirement in Italy?
    – Buffy
    Commented Jul 4, 2023 at 13:45
  • 2
    @Buffy - many European universities are teaching in English these days.
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Jul 4, 2023 at 14:46
  • @JonCuster, hmmm, serves 'em right for making us learn French, German, and maybe Russian in grad school. HA!
    – Buffy
    Commented Jul 4, 2023 at 14:59

1 Answer 1


I cannot speak in general, but for the MSc course I teach in (in English) no certifications are mandatory; it is sufficient to submit a written declaration on penalty of perjury (autodichiarazione) that you have at least a B2 level (source).

I imagine it is going to be the same in many other universities, since this kind of declaration is regulated by law in Italy; but I have no direct experience.

  • So, basically, if you can’t keep up with the English instruction it is on the student. Seems reasonable.
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Jul 5, 2023 at 14:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .