Recently my paper is reviewed (by a professor from independent third party) and accepted by a journal. But, my employer allows me to publish this paper only without its name there.

Publishing house is expecting affiliation for each author, i.e. I can not leave affiliation as blank.

What should I write as the affiliation?


2 Answers 2


As noted by @mankoff in a comment on Does one need to be affiliated with a university to publish papers?, you can use "Independent Scholar":

Here is a recent paper published by someone affiliated as "Independent Scholar": dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-12-00171.1

  • 1
    Or "Independent Researcher" or "Unaffiliated" or "None". Different online systems might filter differently.
    – Buffy
    Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 16:03

For completeness’ sake, I mention that another option would be to give your private address as an affiliation. Here is an example for this. Here is another one (affiliations are at the end of the paper)¹. This one only lists the city and country part of the address².

¹ Credits to Jessica B for pointing this one out.
² Credits to Cheersmate for pointing this one out.

  • @cheersmate: Thanks. I added it to my answer.
    – Wrzlprmft
    Commented Jul 31, 2020 at 19:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .