As mentioned in this very good post (How) Can I switch from field X to field Y after getting my PhD?

In some cultures/fields, it is common to take a short master’s degree, summer school, or “boot camp” in field Y to come up to speed and make some connections. The UK, for example, offers conversion courses, as Sammy Gerbil tells us.

However, my situation is somewhat tougher than the ones described:

  1. We just moved to the US on permanent resident visa which allows to work, and I don't have any English publications (first one is coming out soon related to natural language processing)
  2. My degrees are unrelated to a high degree (BA in computer science, MA/PhD in Media with slight emphasis on linguistics and NLP) and they don't seem to interest recruiters in the US.
  3. I want to continue research in sociology/demography and get at least some research-related job in the US (I don't know what can it be, any recommendations on possible job titles would be really helpful in my search). During the job search, I try to accent on my experience as a computer scientist/developer, but despite my expectations that doesn't seem like a skill sociology research organizations want to use.

Currently I work as postdoc in Israel (now remotely) in the public health sector, mostly I do projects/publications related to computer science, natural language processing and some statistics/data science. I thought that finding a postdoc in the US since we moved here would be easier, but it looks like a Russian degree, a postdoc in Israel and changing the field is quite a stretch. I am 38 and consider doing either MA or PhD again. Thesis MA would be easier, but could be more expensive since it is less likely to get funded, I think (not sure!).

Can you please share your thoughts what to do to get noticed and hired and what to look for now and after postdoc? One thing which I don't understand, should I aim for tenure, can't I just work as non-tenure researcher, maybe as research assistant if I am ok with a modest life-style?

Do you think independent institutions like Ronin institute can be helpful in my situation?

  • related/duplicate: academia.stackexchange.com/questions/17232/…
    – Sursula
    Jan 25, 2023 at 7:48
  • 2
    Are you a US citizen? If not, what is your visa status (i.e., do you have the ability to work in the US)?
    – Jon Custer
    Jan 25, 2023 at 23:19
  • 1
    We are on a green card, permanent resident visa, so I can work. Thanks, I've added to the post, I understand it is important Jan 26, 2023 at 8:03
  • 1
    @MoisheKohan BA from Higher School of Economics, and MA/PhD from Russian State University for Humanities. Yes, I have about 10 years experience in software, 3 years from that as developer, 7 as tech consultant doing mostly presentations and demos. I consider industry jobs as last resort, because then I have to do research in spare time and that gets more difficult as I grow older and have children Jan 27, 2023 at 4:06
  • 1
    Found a related article about a somewhat similar situation science.org/content/article/… Feb 1, 2023 at 3:24


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .