Because of different backgrounds in higher education systems, different titles are popularly used for administrative titles in academia such as

University level - President, Vice Chancellor, Rector, Principal

Faculty level - Dean only

Department level - Head, Chair

For leading a faculty, the only common term is Dean. Am I right? or there are other alternatives too?

And more interestingly, the title of Dean is only used for the manager of a faculty, not other positions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What is the historical meaning of dean, and what is special about this title, which is only used for a specific level in academia.

  • I think Oxford has "Chair of the Faculty" rather than Dean – 410 gone Apr 7 '14 at 19:12

The title "Dean" is by no means restricted to the leader of a faculty (or college, or other similar unit). For instance, most US universities have a "Dean of Students" who is responsible for student services, discipline, etc. Some have a "Dean of Residential Life" who runs the dorms. My alma mater had a "Dean of Student Activities", popularly known as the "Dean of Fun".

| improve this answer | |
  • "Dean of Fun"? Anything like the "Fun Police"? ;-) – long Apr 8 '14 at 1:46
  • 1
    @long: A little bit. His job was mostly to come up with things for students to do that didn't involve alcohol. Concerts, subsidized movie tickets, and so forth. It was kind of a losing battle but he tried valiantly. – Nate Eldredge Apr 8 '14 at 3:23
  • @NateEldredge this is not what I meant. In some sense, Dean of Students is at the level of Dean of Faculty (both report to VP). I meant why the term of Dean is not used for other academic leaders; such as Dean of Department, Dean of Institute, Dean of Lab, Dean of Research Center or generally using the title of Dean instead of Director, which is very common for a wide range of leading positions? – user13854 Apr 8 '14 at 9:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.