I am a Tunisian PhD student, at my last year of PhD, I found a lab from UK and I want to do a visiting research PhD with them (during 7 months), PS: I will finance myself. I don't have a big background about the visa. Thus, I have a question Which type of visa I should applied for ?

  • 2
    The UK university is likely to have an "Office for International Scholars", or something similar, and you should pose your question to them. (Assuming that someone from the lab has agreed to host you.)
    – academic
    Aug 21 at 10:03

1 Answer 1


Because you are registered for your PhD program abroad, you likely can likely visit UK research institutions on a Standard Visitor Visa. You may need to complete ATAS before applying for a visa. Depending on your exact situation, a work visa may be more appropriate.

Applying for a UK visa is an expensive and long process. It may be wise to ask your host organisation for help before you apply.

  • 1
    My understanding is that being registeed for the PhD programme is unsufficient. The visit needs to be an integral part of the visitor's PhD studies at their home institution.
    – Arno
    Aug 21 at 13:20
  • The page linked also says that for visits over 6 months you would normally need a PhD already, so if OP wants to visit for 7 months as a PhD student that might not work. I agree with the answer though that it would be best to work with the host organisation. Aug 21 at 13:33
  • I think this would fall under the study purpose of the visitor rules rather than the academic one. "You can visit the UK for up to 6 months to: ...do a short piece of research that’s relevant to your course overseas". And as Pieter points out, 6 months is going to be the limit for someone at PhD student level.
    – MJeffryes
    Aug 22 at 15:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .