I have entered a master's in physics program and that program doesn't have quantum field theory or relativity however, I want to enroll into a theoretical physics PhD program and was wondering if it would be a barrier or if they'd let me just take the courses as part of the program.

  • What country is this?
    – Buffy
    Jul 13 at 17:45
  • I'm starting my master's in January and I'm looking to get a PhD in the EU, UK or north America
    – Axxxxx
    Jul 13 at 17:49
  • Please clarify your specific problem or provide additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking.
    – Community Bot
    Jul 13 at 22:49

1 Answer 1


In the US it shouldn't be a problem. Grad students normally take courses in preparation for comprehensive exams, so there would be offerings. I doubt you'd be rejected for that, alone. OTOH, most doctoral students here begin with only a bachelors. I have no advice for other places. Good luck.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .