If someone currently working 100% with employer 1 in a public job. Is it possible to get employed by a university or public organisation (employer 2) with 25% or 35% contract after having a Master's or Doctorate degree?

The dual job includes engagement in some activity within the group.

  • 3
    Please clarify what exactly you mean by "dual job". Do you want to be employed by two different employers, working 25 % or 35 % for each? Generally, all kinds of part time contracts are allowed. May 11, 2022 at 19:53
  • I have edited the text, please relook it. May 11, 2022 at 21:44
  • 3
    What does the sentence "The dual job includes engagement in some activity within the group" mean?
    – Bryan Krause
    May 11, 2022 at 22:18
  • Look into regulations for "Nebentätigkeit" applying to both employer 1 and 2. It's generally not uncommon but you have to follow the rules regarding time extent, approval, etc.
    – silvado
    May 12, 2022 at 7:25
  • @silvado thanks for your answer, in practice, have you seen it? I couldn't explore it much. May 12, 2022 at 15:21

2 Answers 2


No, this is not legally possible in Germany.

By law (see Arbeitszeitgesetz) you are only allowed to work 8 hours per day on average (exceptions exist but are unlikely to be applicable in the case as described). A workweek can include Saturday, i.e., be six days. Your maximum legal hours per week are thus 6 * 8 = 48 hours.

Assuming your 100 % job is 39 hours per week, that leaves 9 hours if you are working saturdays. 25 % of 39 hours is 9.75 hours. Your total would therefore be 48.75 hours per week, which is just slightly above the legal maximum for a six-day workweek.

  • 2
    Furthermore, Employer 1 has to be notified and has to declare that they are fine with your second job.
    – Stephan Z.
    May 12, 2022 at 7:05
  • 3
    Sure, but I wouldn't trust the English terms to always capture these nuances correctly.
    – silvado
    May 12, 2022 at 9:24
  • 1
    If OP is asking about edge cases it's their job to make that obvious in the question.
    – user9482
    May 12, 2022 at 12:17
  • 1
    @GautamShahi If you're just looking at a cooperation with another research group most would do that without direct remuneration from the cooperation partner; instead we get joint publications and possibly research funding in joint projects. Cooperation with industry can also be done by consulting.
    – silvado
    May 12, 2022 at 19:25
  • 1
    @GautamShahi One obvious way of having two jobs is if the first one is actually not a full time job, but rather a 50% or 75% position. This is actually quite common, especially when one of the positions is a "scientific employee" position, for which in many fields of research, having a full time position is an exception rather than the norm.
    – DCTLib
    May 13, 2022 at 8:15

I'm not sure about the specific constellation that you are interested in, but the first point to go to would be the personnel department at employer 1. If this is a public institution (university, research institute, or the like) they should have some guidelines about side jobs (Nebentätigkeit) that you need to follow. The specific regulations may depend on the type of your appointment (TVÖD, Beamter, ...). If this is a larger institution you can probably find the applicable guidelines on their intranet (possibly in German only).

If everything works out with employer 1, you also need to check with employer 2 which regulations apply.

For professors at German universities, side jobs are generally possible (subject to specific rules) and are being used. I know cases where the side job was in industry or other universities abroad. I don't personally know of a case where the second employer was another German public institution, but I think it should also be possible.

  • @silvaod, thanks for the detailed description; I agree with you on the overall description. Only the last paragraph raises the question of whether a professor is doing a side job in a private company or running their own company. The number of hours is more than 9-10 hours, and even it's unofficially. This is my exact question. May 13, 2022 at 12:36
  • @GautamShahi The professor will have to ask for permission before starting the side activity, and normally if it's beyond a certain time limit (probably 20% of the regular working time) it would not be allowed. I think this will also apply to running an own company, but you'll have to check the regulations that are relevant for you, and, if in doubt, ask you administration.
    – silvado
    May 15, 2022 at 19:35
  • @silvado: the university (or the Land) may decide that the 2nd position is in their interest and free their employee/Beamer for x h/wk. While I don't know for sure, I think this is how people who are professor or teach at a university plus have a position at a non-university research institute do it (I know several such people). (Works also on lower level: when I was employee of the university during my PhD and got a scholarship, the university decided that it was in their interest to allow me to have the scholarship, and we agreed to have the employment contract "hibernate" for that time) Jun 4, 2022 at 19:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .