Recently I moved from university (3y Ph.D. and 6y PostDoc position in Information Engineering) to a teacher position in a high school in Italy (sad destiny due to the Education Ministry Gelmini under Berlusconi's premiership).

I'm wondering if I can still submit papers to scientific journals, and if so, I'm also wondering if the current affiliation (high school) is acceptable for journal policies.


1 Answer 1


Yes you can submit papers. You don't need any affiliation at all, and consider that if the school you are at doesn't have a way to support your research. You can be an "Independent Researcher" for purposes of publication. If you need to attach an email address, make it a relatively permanent one

But a high school is also valid. Most reviewers (I can't promise all) will take the paper on its merits, not your affiliation.

  • Thanks a lot (+1). I'm sure reviewers are fair as I am. My doubt is just about journals policies. As you say, may I also provide no affiliation? May I provide a personal email address? Again, these questions are related to journals policies, not to reviewers point of view. Commented May 7, 2022 at 19:16
  • Journal policies won't get in your way. Yes, a personal email is fine. You might need to chat with an editor in a few places, but there are lots of independent researchers, including retired faculty.
    – Buffy
    Commented May 7, 2022 at 19:19
  • ok, got it. Thanks again! Commented May 7, 2022 at 19:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .