Every Canadian tertiary institution maintains different rates for domestic students and international students for the payment of tuition fees.

If someone has a Canadian PR (Permanent Residency), can he pay tuition fees at domestic rates? Or, is this facility offered only for full citizens?

  • I started as an international student, and got my PR while in school. The moment I got my PR I stopped paying the international fees. Of course, this could depend on the University
    – Nick S
    Dec 20, 2021 at 19:59

1 Answer 1


Yes, they are, at least in Ontario, Quebec, BC, Alberta, and Manitoba.

This covers 90% of the population of Canada, and I'm sure you could find the regulations for the other provinces and Yukon (there are no universities in NWT and Nunavut) if that's where your institution is with a quick search like I did.

  • Quebec residents must also provide proof of residency in Quebec. Dec 20, 2021 at 18:46
  • @ZeroTheHero Only if they want the Quebec rate, rather than the Canadian rate.
    – Peter K.
    Dec 20, 2021 at 18:53
  • @PeterK. well I just learned something. All I remember are the student protests from many (20?) years ago. Dec 20, 2021 at 19:27
  • @PeterK. According to the page I linked, you have to provide proof of either. Dec 20, 2021 at 19:50
  • 1
    @PeterK. Oh, I suppose. Dec 20, 2021 at 19:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .