Currently, I am falling short on recommenders for my PhD applications in the United States. I don't want to ask the professors with whom I only took a few classes as I know those letters could be weak. I have done 3 research projects and all my supervisors have already submitted letters of recommendation.

My question is whether I can ask for a letter from a professor with whom I not only had some classes, but who also viewed my undergraduate honors dissertation? I presented my presentation to my supervisor and this professor. However, while explaining my relationship with her, what will she be called? Since, it was not my Ph.D. thesis, I can't call her a member of my dissertation committee.


She sounds like a great person to ask for a letter of recommendation.

I would refer to her person as "a member of your undergraduate honors dissertation committee" or "a reviewer (or reader) of you undergraduate honors dissertation".

I think it's important to include 'undergraduate', because in some places the term dissertation almost exclusively refers to work completed in pursuit of a PhD.

  • Yeah, you're right. Thank you. Dec 5 '21 at 7:04

It is perfectly acceptable to ask for a reference from this person; she will be the one to decide if she knows enough about you to be able to give a reference. For reference purposes, you could reasonably refer to this academic as your "(honours) dissertation reviewer".

  • Thank you for your answer. Honors Dissertation Reviewer does sound good. Dec 2 '21 at 16:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.