I am writing my proposal (that is, the qualifying exam/proposal defence right before the final thesis defence) and my advisor suggested in my outline for the 1st chapter(Introduction) the following order:
- Introduction to the domain
- Motivating the proposed approach using an example
- Discussing in brief the reasons why state-of-the-art fail to address certain parts of the problem
- Our approach mentioning its different parts in brief
- Challenges in the field/problem that our approach needs to address
- Our contribution
I am a little lost on how to separately write the subsections for approach and contribution. Are these two terms different? If so how?