There are several funding options from the German DAAD for PhD students and Postdoc working in German universities to visit other countries:

Question: Are these funds added to the regular TV-L salary that the postdocs or PhD students receive from their own university? Or do they replace such salary for the duration of the stay abroad?

  • 3
    I think I have a pretty solid idea what the answer is but I would strongly encourage you to contact the DAAD and ask them directly.
    – Roland
    Sep 20, 2021 at 14:38
  • How much is it (compared to, say, 50% TVL)? That might give a hint.
    – user151413
    Sep 20, 2021 at 18:12

1 Answer 1


The answer is found in https://www.daad.de/de/im-ausland-studieren-forschen-lehren/stipendien-finanzierung/wichtige-hinweise-zu-daad-stipendien/, Section E, Point 4:

If you are receiving a salary as a PhD student, the "domestic part" of the stipend - currently 850 EUR - is substracted from your DAAD stipend.

Note that there is a direct link to that site (explicitly referring to Section E, for precisely such kind of questions you ask) from the 1st page you link to.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .