I've heard that people interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in the US contact potential Ph.D. advisors to ask if they have space available in their labs. Does this apply to undergraduates (students with just a BA/BS degree wanting to go for a Ph.D. program directly) as well? I am looking for Computer Science Ph.D. programs. I thought all I had to do was apply to the university directly and then wait to hear back on my acceptance/rejection like with undergrad college application. Any input would be helpful.


1 Answer 1


Going through the same process, the way I see it is that the "normal" way to do a PhD straight from undergrad is to take courses for the first year or two, and then find a formal advisor.

That being said, I've seen that if there is a very good fit, professors can accept individual students directly to their lab/group as well.

So it is not a requirement to contact potential advisors, but can definitely help if you are absolutely sure that you want to work with them.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .