I already finished my Master's degree a while back. Now I am applying for Ph.D. programs and a lot of them require some academic publication, and since I only have a Master's thesis I don't know If I should translate it.

  • 1
    Are you asking if it is legal or if it is a good idea to do it from the perspective of PhD admissions?
    – GoodDeeds
    Aug 20 at 23:59
  • It's quite possible that professors on admissions committees are willing to read publications in your native language. Aug 21 at 0:19
  • 1
    Note that a privately made translation does not count as official translation for legal documents. It probably won't matter to the committee for a scientific dissertation. Aug 21 at 0:57

If you haven't given up copyright to it, then you are within your rights to provide a translation. Just mark it as such, citing the original. There are no problems with this.

If you have given up copyright (say, to a publisher) then they hold the rights, but will probably give you permission (a license) to do this. But it doesn't count as a second publication - just as a translation - since the content is the same. In some cases, your agreement with a publisher may already include this right.

It might make your work more accessible to an application committee, of course.

  • I wonder if there is at all a legal problem for a translation for restricted academic purposes only (such as an admission). Aug 21 at 0:58
  • @CaptainEmacs, actually anyone can translate anything as long as they don't "publish" it. But the meaning of "publish" is open to interpretation.
    – Buffy
    Aug 21 at 10:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.