I have accepted a postdoc offer, then an other offer came out and I declined it mostly because I already accepted the first one. After taking time to think and consider multiple factors I have some regrets. Is it normal to ask if that position has been filled yet and if not is it okay to take it?

  • 2
    Regret, at least, is pretty common.
    – Buffy
    Aug 15, 2021 at 11:05

2 Answers 2


Proceed with caution here. Regret is common and, as we say "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

I can't really recommend one way or the other, since it is both your decision and you who will benefit or suffer from any decision you make. But I suggest you consider the following.

You leave yourself at risk of seeming unreliable to both institutions if you try to make a change after you have accepted an offer. That wouldn't serve you well if it were to occur.

Personally, I would only be tempted to try to switch if there were something decidedly negative about the accepted offer/position. I would be more inclined to write the second institution, thanking them, telling them that you just recently accepted another offer before this one was made and that perhaps the future will offer possibilities for joining them.

But, consider that there might be risk in trying for a short term optimization here. Think about the longer term.


Reget is common in our life; I would suggest discussing with the Professor again if it's not filled he/she might offer you. If they don't offer, you will not regret in future that you did not ask.

  • That leaves open the question of declining the accepted offer. That might be problematic.
    – Buffy
    Aug 15, 2021 at 11:13
  • @Buffy Yes, it is better to quit in the beginning rather than declining the performance, At the end only performance matters.
    – Alex Kujur
    Aug 15, 2021 at 16:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .